Thursday, February 24, 2011

Joining with a partner to feed sugar lovers!

Hi folks, my name is Lacey Nobles. And as of right now, I am a producer for an NBC news affiliate. However, within the next very short weeks, I will become a baking protege/virtuoso. Jessica, the other poster of this blog, and I are going into business as 'professional' bakers.



So how does one make the leap from journalism to slinging batter? Well, I shall tell you. I graduated from Texas Tech in 2005 with a degree in broadcast journalism with a Spanish minor. My first 'adult' job landed me in Austin. I was the assignments editor at KTBC Fox 7. While in the capital city, I was exposed to the cutest, funkiest clothing stores anyone could ask for. I was able to really coddle my eclectic style. So, I decided I wanted to own a clothing store to cater to folks with an eccentric vision of style, much like me. Well, this didn't happen.

After two years in ATX, I got a job in Lubbock and was happy to return to the South Plains. I've been a producer ever since. It might sound impressive, but really it's solely a labor of love. And even that doesn't happen often.

Since I've been back in Lubbock, I still make a pilgrimage to Austin a few times a year to replenish my wardrobe with wares I can't find in the Hub City. So...then...it hit me. Open up a clothing store that would be very 'Austin-esque' here in Lubbock. P.S. - It's a million dollar idea, easy. Since this idea has hatched (I'd say about 8 months ago) I have been wondering how to make it come to fruition.

So in a moment of swagger, I talked to Jessica at my company's Christmas party about opening up a business. However, the exchange went something like this : "Jessica, you want to open a bakery, right? I'll help you open a bakery if you help me open a clothing store down the line." That's pretty much where the idea stopped. Three weeks later I wrote Jessica on Facebook and said, "don't think I'm a freak, but let's go into business together."

Fast forward to March 2, 2011 - we signed the lease on our bakery, and are now working to secure working capital (knowledgeable and official sounding, huh? Don't worry it'll fade.)

Thus far just making a fleeting idea form into an operational business has been a challenge.

But things are rolling along, and as this blog goes on we will share stories of heartache, happiness, triumph, and warnings to those ready to make the leap into self-employment.

Cheers!
Lacey

No comments:

Post a Comment